Don’t let the article title scare you! Acids are a great way to restart your skin. Whether it is to fade dark spots, diminish wrinkles, or even moisturize dry skin, acids are a good option to add to your skin routine.
With that said, if you have extreme skin issues, please consult a dermatologist to discuss acid options before trying them at home.
- Acetic Acid– S. W. Basics Toner $22.00
- Found in vinegar, acetic acids are not meant to be placed directly onto skin because of its high acidity. However, acetic acids are great at removing excess oil and fading hyper-pigmentation when diluted correctly.
- Citric Acid– 100% Pure Brightening Serum $45.00 *
- Similar to acetic acids, citric acids are potent. Deriving from citrus fruits (lemons, oranges, grapefruits,etc.) it isn’t the best idea to rub raw fruit onto your face, especially if you have sensitive skin. But under the right conditions, citric acids can brighten dull skin by slowly exfoliating dead skin cells; a good alternative to harsh skin lighteners.
- Glycolic Acid– Reviva Labs Glycolic Acid $12.00
- One of the most common AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acid), glycolic acid acts as an exfoliator. Made from sugar cane, glycolic acids are great in treating acne-prone skin, fading age spots, and even diminishing fine lines. Do not be alarmed if you see percentages on the packages. If working with these acids, start off with a lower percentage before moving up to a higher one to make sure your skin reactions well to the product.
- Hyaluronic Acid– Earth Science Maximum Hydration Hyaluronic Acid Serum $20.00 *
- Fun fact: not all acids are meant to exfoliate! Hyaluronic acids occurs naturally within our skin. But with age, environmental factors, or just plain genetics, our skin can lack moisture leading to lackluster, dry skin. With the help of hyaluronic acid, you can add moisture back to your skin for more of a youthful texture.
- Lactic Acid– Ren Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask $55.00
- For our vegan brothers and sisters out there: lactic acid doesn’t always mean milk! Lactic Acid can occur within fruit and vegetables too! Said to be more gentle than glycolic acid, lactic acid can do all the benefits of a exfoliator and calming cleanser.
- Kojic Acid- DeVita Skin Brightening Serum $28.95 *
- Obtained from mushrooms found primarily in Japan, Kojic acids are found to lighten hyperpigmentation. Not as harsh as chemical-filled products or hydroquinone creams, Kojic Acid are still consisted a skin lightener so make sure to put on sunscreen whenever outside!
- Malic Acid- Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Full Strength $45.00
- If apples are your favorite fruit, here is another reason why to love this beloved fruit. Malic acid, commonly found in apples, cherries, and peaches, is another great exfoliator with skin-penetrating properties. While some of the other acids on this lists are not the best for sensitive skintypes, malic acids are gentle enough for weekly usage.
- Retinol Acid- Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum $32.99 *
- Derivative of vitamin A, retinol acid are most used for more mature skin where Retinol Acids are made to diminish wrinkles, bolster skin’s thickness and elasticity, slow the breakdown of collagen, and lighten hyperpigmentation caused by prolong sun exposure.
- Salicylic Acid- Natural Acne Solutions Maximum Strength Spot Treatment Cream $13.00
- If you have acne-prone, oily skin, you have probably have seen this word before on any wash, cream, or moisturizer you have bought. As a BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid), Salicylic Acid is known as a keratolytic agents also. By this, these acids slow down or strip the skin of dead cells to keep the skin smooth and healed. While most people have used Salicylic Acid to treat acne, it is also known to help psoriasis, ichthyoses, dandruff, corns, calluses, and warts on the hands or feet.
- Tartaric Acid- Dr. Dennis Gross Clinical Concentrate Radiance Booster $68.00 *
- I have never heard of this acid but hailing from grapes, Tartaric Acids are found in many body and skincare products. Classified as a AHA, Tartaric Acids are very similar with other AHAs. Try this acid if you have had issues with other products to treat those struggle skin problems.