Another facial skincare review! Serums are like moisturizers, but they are designed to give your skin a boost. For me, I am looking for serums that are designed to mattify the skin, balance my oil-production, and brighten my complexion. Again, I am not a dermatologist but serums are great to add to your skincare routine if you have minor or major skin issues you want to correct.
- Alaffia Melon Seed Harmonizing Facial Serum is a okay serum. It is pretty expensive ($10 or $20 per ounce) so when I didn’t see a huge difference, I was a little upset. It is lightweight which is definitely a plus and the ingredients are simple and clean! I just didn’t see a huge difference in my skin so I would say pass on this serum.
- Andalou Naturals Turmeric + C Enlighten Serum is an amazing serum for those with hyperpigmentation. This serum is vegan-friendly but it is expensive ($24.95 or $22.68 per ounce) but it is worth it! My dark spots were so dark before but once I finished the bottle my skintone was definitely more even. A little goes a long way. Just a helpful hint–use sunscreen with serums like this to help with hyperpigmentation.
- Thesis Organic Facial Serum for Oily Skin is another serum I would pass on. It didn’t do anything on my skin as far as what it claims it would do. If anything, I felt more oily and my makeup application was difficult. But if you want to give it a try, the price is high like most serums ($24.95 for 1 ounce) and is organic which can be a great option to get away from basic facial oils.
- Paula’s Choice Antioxidant Concentrate Serum is my holy grail! This serum is just perfection! I always like Paula’s choice but this serum knocks all their other products out of the park. It is so lightweight, I honestly felt like nothing was on my face. This may be a con to some but for an oily skin person, this is a blessing. It is expensive ($34.00 for 1 ounce) but it is worth all of your money. My skin felt moisturized and balanced. I almost had to get the scissors out so I can get the rest of the serum out of the bottle! Right now, serums are 15% off!
- Twinkle Apothecary Autumn serum is a new to my collection. So far, I like it! It feels heavy when you apply it but once you gently rub into skin, it disappears into the skin. The price is reasonable for a big bottle ($35.00 or $17.50 per ounce), which can last you for months. I will update this post once I am done with this bottle!
- Derma E Even Tone Brightening Serum would probably be a great serum, but I didn’t see a difference. It received good reviews too! It is suppose to even out skintone but I didn’t notice a change and also I did not like the feeling of the serum. I prefer more of a oil-like feeling, instead of a gel. Out of my whole collection, it is the cheapest serum ($24.50 or $12.25 per ounce).
For anyone who is new to color correctors, orange or deep peachy color correctors are designed to cancel out blue bruises or dark spots on dark-to-deep skin tones. I personally love color correctors because this product gives me a more even skintone. Of course, you still need to use a concealer AFTER you use a color corrector so that color does not peek through your foundation.
Below are some of the best color correctors for dark-to-deep color correctors for those who are seeking a product to help with those annoying dark spots and hyperpigmentation!
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Color Correcting Fluid in Peach or Deep Peach $29.00
- PEACH works great for dark circles, dark spots, veins and deep discoloration. It’s ideal for blue-hued dark circles, typically seen in deeper skin tones.
- DEEP PEACH is a more intense version of Peach, and masks dark discoloration like circles and sun spots. Tip: Great for deeper or bronzier skin tones!
- Plain Jane Beauty Color Correctors in Ginger (Deep Orange) and Dahalia (Brick Red) $16.00 (Black-Owned!)
- Au Naturale Color Theory Creme Corrector in Peach $24.00
- to hide dark circles or other spots for those with medium to dark skin tones.
- E.L.F Lightweight Color Neutralizing Pen $6.00
This orange hue helps conceal dark circles and hide imperfections on deeper complexions.
- Jane Iredale Enlighten Concealer in Dark Intense Peach $29.00
- The ultimate concealer for very dark under eye circles, hyperpigmentation or bruising.