Winter is right around the corner for some of us. This means cold and dry air! Sadly, as most of us prepare our facial skin for the winter months, some of us don’t take the same precautions to our lips. Dry and chapped lips doesn’t look the best when you are trying to rock the latest matte color this season.
So here are some easy tips to help those cracked lips!
TIP #1: Do not lick your lips. THIS IS VERY TEMPTING, I know. But your saliva, when drying, will only take more moisture away.
TIP #2: Scrub it away! Instead of picking and licking at the dead skin, use a lip scrub in the shower to refresh the lips. You can either create your own scrub or purchase a small jar like LUSH’s Popcorn Lip Scrub ($9.95).
TIP #3: Please, please, PLEASE stay away from petroleum or petroleum-based lip balms. Growing up, I always had one of those small jars of Vaseline in my reach. Heck, Carmex too. It was cheap! But petroleum is a byproduct of the oil industry. Not only is petroleum not good for the environment; but when it comes to your lips “it’s water-repellant and not water-soluble, meaning it merely seals the barrier so that moisture does not leave the skin. So while you might feel the instant gratification of a softened surface, you’re actually drying out your pores by keeping out air and moisture.” So what can you use instead? Products containing beeswax (non-vegan), coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter and cocoa butter are better at sealing moisture in AND moisturizing.
Below are some examples of great lip balm out there!
- Badger Unscented Classic Lip Balm $2.99 Certified Organic and Cruelty-Free. Not Vegan.
- Aubrey Organic Lip Balm in Raspberry $2.95 Certified Organic and Cruelty-Free. THIS IS NOT VEGAN.
- Honeybee Gardens Orange Mimosa Lip Balm $2.99 Cruelty-Free. NOT VEGAN or Certified Organic.
- Hurraw Lemon Lip Balm $3.79 Cerfitied Organic, Vegan, and Cruelty-Free.
- Crazy Rumors Mint Bubble Lip Balm $3.49 Certified Organic, Vegan, and Cruelty-Free.
- Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Lip Balm $2.99 Certified Organic and Cruelty-Free. Not Vegan.
- Surya Brasil Acai Berry Lip Balm $3.49 Vegan and Cruelty-Free. Not Cerfitied Organic.