Being a Women of Color, I have experienced a lot of heartache when choosing foundations. My foundations are either too light, too dark, too ashy, too SOMETHING. But my biggest problem is finding companies that carry my shade at all. Even though it is 2017, there are still companies that do not carry a diversity of shades or tones. To make matters worse, many vegan and cruelty-free lines do not even bother to add deeper colors, leaving Women and Men of Color little to no choice but to use foundations created funky chemicals.
But does that mean there aren’t ANY companies making shades for Women and Men of Color? OF COURSE THEY ARE!
Below are 20 companies I have researched or used that I believe have a lovely selection of shades to fit anyone and everyone.
* = VEGAN-FRIENDLY
Continue reading “20 Best Vegan + Cruelty-free Foundations for Women of Color”
Have you ever taken a photo and realized you look lighter or ashy? Well, you have experience what is known as the “flashback”. While you might have looked flawless earlier, the camera’s flash will show color differentiations. For any chocolate beauties out there, you know the reason behind the flashback is using either too light of a foundation and/or no-color/translucent setting powder.
While no-color/translucent powders are described to match all skintones, the reality is these powders are meant for lighter skin complexions. The powder is usually pearly white. Thus when blended onto deeper skintones, the natural chocolate tones will appear from under the white cast.
But do not get discouraged! A simple way to fix this is to purchase finishing or setting powders that are tinted, but yet sheer enough so your foundation color is left unchanged.
Below are some great setting powders to try for all shades within the spectrum.
1. Everyday Minerals Bronzed Finishing Dust $15.00 VEGAN.
2. KOYVOCA Classic Setting Powder $12.00 VEGAN.
- Light – a neutral warm light brown
- Medium – a neutral warm medium brown
- Medium-Deep – a neutral warm brown
- Deep – a neutral warm dark brown
3. Cover FX Blotting Powder $24.00 VEGAN.
- Light – Completely sheer with a hint of warmth
- Medium – Completely sheer with a hint of warmth
- Deep – Completely sheer with a hint of tint for deeper skintones
4. Urban Decay Naked Skin Ultra Definition Loose Finishing Powder $34.00 VEGAN.
- Naked Light
- Naked Medium Light
- Naked Medium
- Naked Medium Dark
- Naked Dark
5. Milani Multitasker Face Powder $6.99
- Light Medium- Light/Medium Light Skintone with Neutral or Yellow Undertones
- Medium- Medium Skintone with Neutral Undertone
- Light Tan- Medium to Medium/Deep Skintone with Olive Undertone
- Tan- Medium Deep Skintone with Neutral or Pink Undertones
- Medium Tan- Deep Skintone with Golden or Olive Undertones
- Dark Tan-