Bronzers are an amazing product. You can use them as a blush, a contouring powder, a highlighter, or even as eyeshadow. However, some bronzers on the market are not designed for Women (and Men) of Color. These bronzers tend to be too light causing an ashy appearance on darker skintones.
These bronzers listed below are for darker-skinned beauties looking for a fresh look this Spring and Summer.
* = VEGAN-FRIENDLY
- Wet n’ Wild Color Icon Bronzer SPF 15 in Bikini Contest ($4)
- Colourpop Bronzer Bronze Me ($8) *
- Milani Baked Bronzer in Dolce ($9)
- Shea Moisture Illuminating Mineral Bronzer ($15)
- W3LL People Bio Bronzer ($22)
- Lily Lolo Bronzer in Honolulu ($26) *
- Urban Decay Beached Bronzer in Bronzed ($28) *
- TARTE Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer in Hotel Heiress ($30) *
- Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Bronzer ($30) *
- 100% Pure Cocoa Pigment Bronzer Cocoa Glow ($35) *
With the hype of the neutral eye being ingrained in the everyday makeup routine, colored eyeshadows are left in the shadows (pun intended). Which is extremely sad since colored eyeshadows can add more depth and personality to your eyes.
I decided to find colored shadows for brown to dark brown eyes. The reason being: more than half of the world’s population has brown eyes and most individual with medium to deeper skin tones have a variation of brown eyes (i.e hazel). That is not to say people of darker skin cannot have blue, green, or gray eyes but because of the rarity I will stick to giving information for brown eyed people.
The best colors, BY FAR, that work well with brown eyes are blues, greens, and purples. Plus these colors look great on medium and dark skin so double win!
HINT: Determine your undertone. Cool to cool; Warm to warm.
- Lily Lolo in Blue Lagoon $12.00 (A Sparkly Medium Blue)
- Orglamix in Obsidian $11.10 (A Shimmery Blackened Blue)
- NYX Hot Single Eye Shadow in Dank $4.50 (A Satin Light Green)
- Milani Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella Khaki $4.49 (A Shimmering Dark Green)
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Flash $19 (A Satin Finish Purple)
- Etherealle Eyeshadow in Belladonna $7.95 (A Matte Eggplant Purple Eyeshadow)
Eyeshadow primers are, in my option, one of those products many people completely skip (I am very guilty of this time to time). But like a facial primer they are important! Eyeshadow primers are meant to keep your eyeshadow in place and make the color more pronounce. No one wants flaky, creasing shadow…
Below are some of the best eyeshadow primers out in the market. I listed the products from budget-friendly to splurging!
- Cheeky Cosmetics Organic Eye Shadow Primer $14.00 VEGAN.
- EMANI Magic Sealer $14.00 VEGAN.
- Gabriel Cosmetics Eye Primer $14.30 VEGAN.Comes in two colors (Neutral: all Skin Tones/ Warm Beige: Medium to Deep Skin/Warm Undertones)
- Lily Lolo Prime Focus Eyelid Primer $15.00 VEGAN.Buff shade will neutralise discolouration & give a clean eyelid look so that your eye shadow applies true to colour; Lemon shade will correct any dark areas while giving the perfect base
- Jane Iredale Lid Primer $19.50 VEGAN. Comes in three options.
- TARTE clean slate™ 360° creaseless 12-hr Smoothing Eye Primer $20.00 CRUELTY-FREE.
- TOO FACE Shadow Insurance Primer $20.00
- BECCA Eye Priming Perfector ™$24.00 Comes in two colors (Translucent Perfector works well with light to medium skintones, while Tinted pairs with medium to dark)
- BLINC Eyeshadow Primer $24.00 VEGAN. Comes in two shades (light tone for light skintones; flesh tone for medium to dark skin tones)
- COVER FX Anti-Age Smoothing Eye Primer $24.00 VEGAN.
I remember when the Urban Decay NAKED palette hit the market. Every blogger and pinterest board out there had a tutorial about how to accomplish the perfect smokey eye. While Urban Decay (a cruelty-free and vegan company) has evolve their palettes, other companies have jumped on the bandwagon and created their own. Luckily, some of these companies are vegan and/or cruelty-free so beauties like us can partake in the eye game!
Palettes have an advantage to single eyeshadow colors. They usually follow a color scheme so you can custom design your look at an affordable price and they are travel-friendly.
Here are some palettes out there in the vegan and cruelty-free community.
- Viseart Eyeshadow Palette ($80.00) in Dark Matte are “rich shades to add an extra depth of color to any eye look. Navies and wines add definition to a smoky eye, while rich browns and oranges deepen golden and champagne eye looks”. This company has 6 other eyeshadow palettes for all styles (Neutral Matte,Bridal Satin,Sultry Muse, Paris Nude, Cool Matte, Bright Editorial). These products are not tested on animals, contain organic ingredients, and they are free of silicone, petrochemicals, and mineral oil.
- Red Apple Lipstick City Depth ($133.00) from their City Palette (City Matte, City Color, City Nude, City Stater) series “blends mattes with velvety shimmers to create a neutral palette that’s far from bland. This palette utilizes grey undertones to help you create stunning professional looks or sultry smokey eyes. Grey is the ultimate neutral, it pairs well with all hair colors and eye colors – you can’t go wrong”. Though expensive,reviewers have stated you will use all the colors to create 3 eye looks. All their palettes are vegan, gluten-free, corn-free, and GMO-free along with nasties that are removed!
- TARTE Tartelette Amazonian Clay Matte Palette ($45.00) has 12 unique colors to create any soft or sultry eye look. Best of all, all the colors are matte! Formulated without parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfates, & gluten this palette is amazing! I personally have this palette and love it! I am not a big fan with shimmer eyes for work so I wear these colors for my professional look.
- Pacifica Enlighten Eye Brightening Shadow Palette ($14.00) is budget-friendly and sexy. With “rich, lasting, creaseless eye shadows that are infused with coconut water for a velvety, cream-like finish” these colors can create a golden,purple smokey eye! But if you are looking for a blue smokey eye, try their Mystical Supernatural Eye Shadow. Formulated without: Phthalates, parabens, carmine, beeswax, lanolin, mineral oils, propylene glycol, petroleum and FD& C colors; Vegan and Gluten-free.
- Lily Lolo Smoke & Mirrors Eye Palette ($34.00) is an 8 pigment palette with shadows ranging from shimmer to matte textures. These soft colors can be used during the day, but can be built upon to make a more dramatic look for your night look. Lily Lolo also has another palette (The Laid Bare) if you are looking for a more neutral eye. Does not contain chemicals, bismuth, talc, or dyes (FD&C, Lake). It is also vegan, GMO-free, gluten Free, & organic.
Continue reading “National Novel Writing Month Day 11: Eyeshadow Palettes”
Pantone Inc. releases each season 10 colors to reflect the changes within the fashion industry for both men and women! Add one (or all!) of these colors to your cosmetic bag!