Now that I am recharged from my Hong Kong trip, I wanted to discuss cheek color for us Black and Brown Babes!
Unlike lip color, coordinating your undertone to your blush color isn’t necessary. While you CAN match your undertone to your blush, just having an idea of your skintone is all you need to find the perfect color for you.
Because we are deeper in color, our blush should be brighter and bolder to stand out against our skin. If it is too light, the color can make you like clown-like and frankly, childish.
As the guideline follows:
Continue reading “8 CRUELTY-FREE Blushes For Black Women”
In the world of color-correcting concealers, Green is the #1 color. But why green? Well, most people from all walks of life might experience those annoying little red dots called pimples from time to time. In my case, I usually have one per week–so when I want to cover the redness, I pull out my handy green concealer.
Color-correcting concealers are great when flesh-tone concealers aren’t enough to give you a flawless look. As seen in my previous article about orange concealers, green concealers are great to have in your makeup bag when you have to neutralize red-based discoloration; either from acne or rosacea.
If you decide to try a color-correcting concealer, apply it before your foundation. This helps neutralize the redness. After applying your base, apply your flesh-tone concealer. Make sure you blend like crazy! You do not want the green to appear from under your foundation.
Now onto formula! Most concealers come in liquid or cream form but there are color-correcting primers and powders too. I personally like cream concealers. I use a concealer brush and apply how much product I want to apply. If you have larger areas of redness, I find green primers or powders to be better since they cover greater areas.
1. Want a cream? Try Orglamix Instant Clarity Concealer $15.00
2. Want a powder? Try Everyday Minerals Mint Jojoba Color Corrector $9.00
3. Want a wand? Try NYX HD Photogenic Concealer Wand $5.00
4. Want a primer? Try Mineral Fusion Color Correcting Primer $28.99
5. Want a stick? Try City Color Color Correcting Stick $5.99
With the hype of the neutral eye being ingrained in the everyday makeup routine, colored eyeshadows are left in the shadows (pun intended). Which is extremely sad since colored eyeshadows can add more depth and personality to your eyes.
I decided to find colored shadows for brown to dark brown eyes. The reason being: more than half of the world’s population has brown eyes and most individual with medium to deeper skin tones have a variation of brown eyes (i.e hazel). That is not to say people of darker skin cannot have blue, green, or gray eyes but because of the rarity I will stick to giving information for brown eyed people.
The best colors, BY FAR, that work well with brown eyes are blues, greens, and purples. Plus these colors look great on medium and dark skin so double win!
HINT: Determine your undertone. Cool to cool; Warm to warm.
- Lily Lolo in Blue Lagoon $12.00 (A Sparkly Medium Blue)
- Orglamix in Obsidian $11.10 (A Shimmery Blackened Blue)
- NYX Hot Single Eye Shadow in Dank $4.50 (A Satin Light Green)
- Milani Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella Khaki $4.49 (A Shimmering Dark Green)
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Flash $19 (A Satin Finish Purple)
- Etherealle Eyeshadow in Belladonna $7.95 (A Matte Eggplant Purple Eyeshadow)
I love oil blotting paper! I wear makeup every day–but sadly, I suffer from oily/combination skin. If I did not use oil blotting tissues, I will look like a wet mess!
Thank goodness some of my favorite cruelty-free brands have these miracle-making tissues!
- NYX Tea Tree Oil Blotting Paper ($6.00/100 sheets) is made from green tea powder and pulp to remove excess oil without distrubing your makeup. NYX has three other tissues to choose from (Green Tea, Matte, and Fresh Face).
- Mineral Fusion Shine-Free Blotting Tissues ($7.99/100 sheets) are made from 50% Abaca leaf and 50% soft wood pulp. Abaca leaf is considered a natural fiber that is not only fine so it wouldn’t remove your makeup but also strong so you can remove more oil.
- 100% Pure Anti Bacterial Wood Pulp Oil Blotting Paper ($8.00/50 sheets) is made from wood pulp & hemp oil. Hemp oil has been shown to help all kinds of skin issues. Therefore, these tissues are safe for all skin types.
- Tatcha PETAL FRESH Original Aburatorigami ($12.00/30 sheets) is made from Abaca leaf and gold flakes. Listed as fragrance-free and powder-free.
- Jane Iredale Facial Blotting Paper ($11.00/100 sheets) is interestly made from organic flax seeds, which keeps your skin super soft.