Being a Women of Color, I have experienced a lot of heartache when choosing foundations. My foundations are either too light, too dark, too ashy, too SOMETHING. But my biggest problem is finding companies that carry my shade at all. Even though it is 2017, there are still companies that do not carry a diversity of shades or tones. To make matters worse, many vegan and cruelty-free lines do not even bother to add deeper colors, leaving Women and Men of Color little to no choice but to use foundations created funky chemicals.
But does that mean there aren’t ANY companies making shades for Women and Men of Color? OF COURSE THEY ARE!
Below are 20 companies I have researched or used that I believe have a lovely selection of shades to fit anyone and everyone.
* = VEGAN-FRIENDLY
Continue reading “20 Best Vegan + Cruelty-free Foundations for Women of Color”
Some people are born lucky. These people can use the same skincare products from their teenage years all the way until their 70’s and beyond. My mom is one of these lucky people. She has been using the same Clinique products as long as I can remember and still looks amazing.
However, while this works for her, the products I use my teenage years don’t and can’t match my skin now in my 20s. I once had oily, acne-prone skin, now I am leaning more towards combination with occasional breakouts. My once favorite skincare products are just too harsh. But thankfully, with the rise of women and men creating and purchasing skincare products, there are items out there to address all kinds of skin concerns.
Below are just some of the various skincare products available for all ages!
While in your 20s, your hormones should be calming down from your awkward puberty days. However, now what is left are dark spots and an oily, persist T-zone. To help combat these problems look for products that are meant to ease the occasional breakouts and fade those dark spots.
They say, “30s is the new 20s.” But with that said, your skin maybe telling a different story. Dryness will start creeping up on you. Stop dryness by finding hydrating moisturizers and soothing scrubs to buff away dead, dull skin.
Aging is a blessing. But there is no shame in keeping wrinkles and age spots away. In your 40s, your skin is losing collagen, a protein that keeps your skin’s elasticity tight. While this is just part of nature, a healthy diet and a strong skincare routine may slow the process.
When it comes to aging, it is but a number. Starting a good routine in your 20s, 30s, and 40s, will greatly help your skin when you are in your 50s and beyond. The main concern now is just keeping your skin smooth and fading away wrinkles. Look for products designed for mature skintypes or have BHA/AHA ingredients to regenerate your skin.
There seems to be a little debate whether washing your face with oils are the best thing for you, especially if you have oily skin. Obviously, rubbing ‘bad oils’ such as pure mineral oil wouldn’t do the trick however ‘good oils’ such as Jojoba, Flaxseed, or Coconut oil can help your skin stay soft and healthy. I use oil cleansers to wash away stubborn makeup at night and I enjoy the feeling of super soft and bright skin.
- Desert Essence Creamy Oil Cleanser $14.99 *
- This luxurious, pure oil-based cleanser helps keep skin clean and perfectly balanced. Perfect for all skin types, it’s infused with Organic Coconut, Evening Primrose, Argan and Jojoba Oils to cleanse makeup and impurities without stripping skin of moisture. Antioxidants and Omega-6 Fatty Acids provide deep nourishment, helping to preserve skin’s natural moisture barrier.
- W.S Badger Argan Face Cleansing Oil $19.99
- If you were the queen of an ancient civilization, you would have used this amazing blend to cleanse your beautiful skin. Inspired by thousands of years of skin care tradition, our Argan Face Cleansing Oil deeply cleanses all skin types. Castor oil lifts impurities while Argan, Sunflower, and Jojoba replenish essential vitamins, fatty acids, and lipids. Clears away makeup and impurities—leaving your skin feeling clean, balanced, and glowing! Clinically tested non-comedogenic.
- Shea Moisture Sensitive Skin Facial Cleansing Oil $9.99
- This natural cleansing oil gently yet thoroughly melts away make-up, dirt and impurities without leaving an oily residue. Enriched with skin-nourishing certified organic Shea Butter and our proprietary complex of Alpine, Damask and Musk Rose Oils, it transforms into a creamy, soft emulsion when blended with water. Sensitive skin is left softer, smoother and refreshed.
- 100% Pure Organic Flaxseed Cleansing Oil $35.00 *
- This moisturizing cleanser restores, softens and soothes while gently removing makeup and other impurities. Flax Seed Oil is rich with Omega 3, 6 and 9 essential fatty acids, B vitamins and zinc which are highly beneficial for all skin types, even gentle enough for skin that is sensitive or affected with eczema or psoriasis. Detoxing herbs and essential oil further purify.
Toners! Toners! Toners! Toners are meant to be used right after cleansing. The purpose of toners are simple: to restore the balance of your skin. Whether you are oily, normal, or dry, washing your face does strip some of the natural oils that keep your skin feeling healthy. Toners also can remove makeup, dirt, and excess oil if you suffer from those issues.
I use a toner every morning and night to keep my skin feeling fresh. With that said, please find the RIGHT toner!
If you need help understanding your skin type, read more HERE.
- Suki Concentrated Clarifying Toner for Combination Skin $32.95
- Combination & Oily Skin types should find toners without alcohol, methanol, or witch hazel since these ingredients can result in a burning sensation. Instead, look for toners with healing & calming materials.
- MURAD Hydrating Toner for Dry Skin $28.00
- Dry Skin types definitely stay away from ALCOHOL! You want hydration! Water-based toners will do wonders on your skin and ease those dry, patchy areas.
- Burt’s Bee Rosewater Toner for Normal Skin $11.00
- Lucky you! Normal skin types can use most toners. Nonetheless, alcohol should be avoid.
- Shea Moisture Africa Black Soap Problem Skin Toner for Oily Skin $9.99
- Similar to combination skin types, oily skin should stay clear of toners with witch hazel, alcohol, and methanol as the first few ingredients on the bottle.
- Delizioso Skincare Cucumber & Aloe Facial Toner for Sensitive Skin $26.95
- While some sensitive skin types may skip the toner, I personally believe if the ingredients are organic and healthy,skin will heal. Cucumber and Aloe Vera are two of the best parts of this toner to calm even the worst sensitive skin.
Continue reading “5 Cruelty-free + Vegan Toners for YOUR SKIN TYPE.”
Now that I am recharged from my Hong Kong trip, I wanted to discuss cheek color for us Black and Brown Babes!
Unlike lip color, coordinating your undertone to your blush color isn’t necessary. While you CAN match your undertone to your blush, just having an idea of your skintone is all you need to find the perfect color for you.
Because we are deeper in color, our blush should be brighter and bolder to stand out against our skin. If it is too light, the color can make you like clown-like and frankly, childish.
As the guideline follows:
Continue reading “8 CRUELTY-FREE Blushes For Black Women”
Hydroquinone is a common skin lightening agent. When used correctly, under a doctor’s care, hydroquinone can help individuals with extreme discoloration or dark spots achieve even skin tone. However, this technique is usually used on patients with lighter skin. When used on darker, deeper skin, hydroquinone can cause ochronosis, a bluish-black discoloration WORSE than the discoloration previously. So instead of buying products with this ingredient, there are safer options to remove those lingering dark spots! Remember– be constant with applying these products and wear sunscreen daily to help with the fading process. It will take time; be patient!
Here are the Top 5 dark spot removals on the market:
1. 100% Pure Dark Spot Remover $38.00
2. Burt’s Bee Brightening Dark Spot Corrector $20.00
3. NOW Solutions Dark Spot Serum $15.99
4. Reviva Labs, Lighten & Brighten, Dark Spot Serum $19.00
5. Shea Moisture Spot Correcting Serum with Songyi Mushroom $14.99 Continue reading “Say No to Hydroquinone: How to Safely Remove Dark Spots”