Being a Women of Color, I have experienced a lot of heartache when choosing foundations. My foundations are either too light, too dark, too ashy, too SOMETHING. But my biggest problem is finding companies that carry my shade at all. Even though it is 2017, there are still companies that do not carry a diversity of shades or tones. To make matters worse, many vegan and cruelty-free lines do not even bother to add deeper colors, leaving Women and Men of Color little to no choice but to use foundations created funky chemicals.
But does that mean there aren’t ANY companies making shades for Women and Men of Color? OF COURSE THEY ARE!
Below are 20 companies I have researched or used that I believe have a lovely selection of shades to fit anyone and everyone.
* = VEGAN-FRIENDLY
Continue reading “20 Best Vegan + Cruelty-free Foundations for Women of Color”
Bronzers are an amazing product. You can use them as a blush, a contouring powder, a highlighter, or even as eyeshadow. However, some bronzers on the market are not designed for Women (and Men) of Color. These bronzers tend to be too light causing an ashy appearance on darker skintones.
These bronzers listed below are for darker-skinned beauties looking for a fresh look this Spring and Summer.
* = VEGAN-FRIENDLY
- Wet n’ Wild Color Icon Bronzer SPF 15 in Bikini Contest ($4)
- Colourpop Bronzer Bronze Me ($8) *
- Milani Baked Bronzer in Dolce ($9)
- Shea Moisture Illuminating Mineral Bronzer ($15)
- W3LL People Bio Bronzer ($22)
- Lily Lolo Bronzer in Honolulu ($26) *
- Urban Decay Beached Bronzer in Bronzed ($28) *
- TARTE Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer in Hotel Heiress ($30) *
- Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Bronzer ($30) *
- 100% Pure Cocoa Pigment Bronzer Cocoa Glow ($35) *
Hello lovelies! I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays with family and friends; eating great food and creating new memories. With that said, as the new year is approaching, it is time to educate you all on mascara. Now, mascaras are a great way to create definition, volume, and length without the use of faux lashes. But not all wands are created equal.
I have created a handy guide to help you pick the right mascara for the occasion.
FINALLY! Urban Decay has stated on their Instagram that they are releasing a NEW palette to their line: the Naked Ultimate Basics. This new palette will feature 12 neutral matte shades for any day or night look. Personally, I am super excited for this palette. I work in a more conservative setting so bright and shimmery eyeshadows are a no-go. Thus, most of my eyeshadow palettes now are matte, so adding one more shouldn’t hurt! 🙂
- Blow- Light nude demi-matte
- Nudie- Soft pink-nude matte
- Commando- Light taupe-brown matte
- Tempted- Pale brown matte
- Instinct- Medium pink-taupe matte
- Lethal- Reddish brown matte
- Pre-game- Pale yellow matte
- Extra Bitter- Burnt orange matte
- Faith- Medium warm brown matte
- Lockout- Rich neutral brown matte
- Magnet- Smoky gray matte
- Blackjack- Warm black matte
This new palette will be release September 18th. Retail Price: $55! You can find this new palette on their website: Urban Decay. So make sure your browsers are ready because I have a feeling this palette will be sold out in 1 second!
You are all done with applying your makeup. Everything is looking great, but you want to keep it that way as long as possible. A great way to keep your makeup in its place is grab your handy-dandy setting spray! Each spray is slightly different from each other but most will soften your complexion, hydrate your skin, or mattify oily skin.
With a great primer and setting spray, you are all set to go!
- Urban Decay All-Nighter Makeup Setting Spray $30 Vegan. All Skin Types.
- Coola Makeup Setting Spray SPF30 $36 Cruelty-free. All Skin Types.
- Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50 $28 Cruelty-free. All Skin Types.
- Wet N’ Wild Photo Focus™ Setting Spray $4.99 Cruelty-free. All Skin Types.
- Jane Iredale Pommisst HYDRATION SPRAY $29.00 Vegan. All Skin Types.
Have you ever taken a photo and realized you look lighter or ashy? Well, you have experience what is known as the “flashback”. While you might have looked flawless earlier, the camera’s flash will show color differentiations. For any chocolate beauties out there, you know the reason behind the flashback is using either too light of a foundation and/or no-color/translucent setting powder.
While no-color/translucent powders are described to match all skintones, the reality is these powders are meant for lighter skin complexions. The powder is usually pearly white. Thus when blended onto deeper skintones, the natural chocolate tones will appear from under the white cast.
But do not get discouraged! A simple way to fix this is to purchase finishing or setting powders that are tinted, but yet sheer enough so your foundation color is left unchanged.
Below are some great setting powders to try for all shades within the spectrum.
1. Everyday Minerals Bronzed Finishing Dust $15.00 VEGAN.
2. KOYVOCA Classic Setting Powder $12.00 VEGAN.
- Light – a neutral warm light brown
- Medium – a neutral warm medium brown
- Medium-Deep – a neutral warm brown
- Deep – a neutral warm dark brown
3. Cover FX Blotting Powder $24.00 VEGAN.
- Light – Completely sheer with a hint of warmth
- Medium – Completely sheer with a hint of warmth
- Deep – Completely sheer with a hint of tint for deeper skintones
4. Urban Decay Naked Skin Ultra Definition Loose Finishing Powder $34.00 VEGAN.
- Naked Light
- Naked Medium Light
- Naked Medium
- Naked Medium Dark
- Naked Dark
5. Milani Multitasker Face Powder $6.99
- Light Medium- Light/Medium Light Skintone with Neutral or Yellow Undertones
- Medium- Medium Skintone with Neutral Undertone
- Light Tan- Medium to Medium/Deep Skintone with Olive Undertone
- Tan- Medium Deep Skintone with Neutral or Pink Undertones
- Medium Tan- Deep Skintone with Golden or Olive Undertones
- Dark Tan-
Now that I am recharged from my Hong Kong trip, I wanted to discuss cheek color for us Black and Brown Babes!
Unlike lip color, coordinating your undertone to your blush color isn’t necessary. While you CAN match your undertone to your blush, just having an idea of your skintone is all you need to find the perfect color for you.
Because we are deeper in color, our blush should be brighter and bolder to stand out against our skin. If it is too light, the color can make you like clown-like and frankly, childish.
As the guideline follows:
Continue reading “8 CRUELTY-FREE Blushes For Black Women”
With the hype of the neutral eye being ingrained in the everyday makeup routine, colored eyeshadows are left in the shadows (pun intended). Which is extremely sad since colored eyeshadows can add more depth and personality to your eyes.
I decided to find colored shadows for brown to dark brown eyes. The reason being: more than half of the world’s population has brown eyes and most individual with medium to deeper skin tones have a variation of brown eyes (i.e hazel). That is not to say people of darker skin cannot have blue, green, or gray eyes but because of the rarity I will stick to giving information for brown eyed people.
The best colors, BY FAR, that work well with brown eyes are blues, greens, and purples. Plus these colors look great on medium and dark skin so double win!
HINT: Determine your undertone. Cool to cool; Warm to warm.
- Lily Lolo in Blue Lagoon $12.00 (A Sparkly Medium Blue)
- Orglamix in Obsidian $11.10 (A Shimmery Blackened Blue)
- NYX Hot Single Eye Shadow in Dank $4.50 (A Satin Light Green)
- Milani Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella Khaki $4.49 (A Shimmering Dark Green)
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Flash $19 (A Satin Finish Purple)
- Etherealle Eyeshadow in Belladonna $7.95 (A Matte Eggplant Purple Eyeshadow)
I wear a winged tip every DAY! At work, when shopping around town, at the bars; I feel naked if I don’t create a classic cat eye. But with many styles and shapes out there, you can be very flexible about look you want to go for.
Felt-tip eyeliners are designed for precise application without tugging or smudging. Most tips are fine so when pressed lightly you can keep the shape simple; press harder you can have a bolder look.
Here are some amazing felt tip eyeliners out there! Listed from budget-friendly to splurging.
- Milani Eye Tech Extreme Liquid Eyeliner ($8.49) PARABEN-FREE.
- NYX Super Skinny Eye Marker ($9.50) PARABEN-FREE.
- Marchelle Double Precision Liquid Eyeliner ($14.95) GLUTEN-FREE. PARABEN-FREE.
- Bella Reina Waterproof Eyeliner Felt Tip Pen ($15.95) PARABEN-FREE.
- Bodyography On Point Liquid Liner Pen ($17.00) GLUTEN-FREE. PARABEN-FREE.
- Urban Decay Ink for Eyes Ink For Eyes Waterproof Precision Eye Pen ($20.00) VEGAN. PARABEN-FREE.
Continue reading “National Novel Writing Month Day 12: The Fall Trend: Graphic Eyeliner”